29 May. SCO/PFS Call

attending: Dave, Katrine, Kevin, Jessy, Zoe, John, Bob
Kevin updated SCO on GLRP developments.  The mobile garage report should be done in 1 week, and we will review on the GLRP call. CPS is working on the confirming the viability of the design.
The Isi charrette report is progressing.  Kevin will send out an action item list with names assigned to various tasks soon.  CPS is working on a site plan to show all the site configurations. Paul reported that there is little to report on the telescope.  The telescope team is focused on working through the costs that were brought up during the telescope-focused meeting in Denver.
Katrine updated SCO on the Phase II crew, currently in Denver.  Katrine and Jessy are going up to help with turnover.  The replacement for the Summit station science manager is being sought, in the meantime, Jessy will help out with that role.  Bob asked about the tasking of the fleet coordination personnel recently brought on at Summit.  Katrine will follow up with Tracy about his role.

27 May. SCO Call

attending: John, Jack, Zoe, Bob
On this call, we discussed possible candidates for the Summit station program manager position that will soon be vacant.  We also discussed the agenda with the upcoming SCO/NSF call (Summit user group comments on recent Summit/Isi development plans; comments on the 2 page white paper executive summary; any topics from NSF/ALEX).  We also discussed the issue that some Summit PIs have raised about transitioning from Summit to Isi, and namely the TAWO move and TAWO/AWO transition.   Lastly, we discussed recent developments at NOAA suggesting that perhaps 5km is too far away for Isi to be from Summit for safety/commuting concerns (but are still awaiting the consensus memo from NOAA to NSF detailing their views).
Action items: backlog of telecon notes (Zoe); virtual tour (Zoe); historical GIS info (John); start detailed planning of the web interface to “serve” the GIS data to users (features desired and software selection, ideally open source) (John and Bob)

22 May. GLRP

Mobile garage report:  Two main items of concern addressed in the report are whether the plan is financially and operationally viable.   It was decided to wait for Martin Lewis’s trip to Summit for him to assess whether the concept of a 28’x44’ garage will meet the operational needs.  Waiting for his trip, scheduled beginning of June, might mean that the bid would not go out with year, and that the garage materials would be on the 2016 vessel, which would get to Summit in 2017.  The bridging documents need to be started in order to get the project moving forward.
NOAA GMAC meeting: update as to whether NOAA is ok with the change to the Summit/Isi development plans, and as to whether or not there would be a requirement to have measurements made in both places if the separation is only 3 miles apart.  We are waiting for a NOAA memo from Brian Vasel and Jim Butler addressing these concerns.
Summer population housing: The group discussed various options for summer berthing for overflow populations past the core facility populations.  It was agreed that summer housing needs to be off the grid, and collapsible/movable at the end of the season to avoid being buried (no permanent surface structures). SCO is still very much in favor of tents.  CRREL will provide updates on current SBIR efforts to develop inflatable structures.  Tracy will provide LCCA of tents vs. the SCUBE (small, flexible, mobile, self-powered units) concept.
Action items: SCO needs to help coordinate the balloon launch needs of various PIs (namely NOAA and ICECAPS).  CRREL is going to update the group on current SBIR efforts to develop inflatable structures.  Tracy is going to compare overall impact /cost of tents vs. SCUBE concept.  SCO will ask astrophysics interests what dark sector and radio silence sector requirements are.  CRREL will provide an update to the drift survey.  The group would like a topo map of the current station.

Wed 7 May. SCO/NSF Call

attending: NSF, SCO
White paper executive summary: This summary is meant to serve as an introduction to Summit for new users, as well as policy makers, and upper echelon NSF folks.  The astrophysics discussion needs to be moved up, with an addition of a message of how exciting the interest from the astrophysics community is, and how welcome they are.  In addition to the site characteristics of Summit mentioned in the white paper, a discussion of how the location allows for different angles of the sky to be imaged, as well as access to a different location on the planet to try to detect nutrinos.  We discussed creating a table of interested parties from the astrophysics community, based on tenants currently at the South Pole.   In order to disseminate the executive summary, SCO will either post the summary to the list of Summit users or post it on the GeoSummit website.
8 May. GLRP
Value Engineering (VE) report: creative idea #4, revision #2 seems like the best option, which is a reduction in square footage to 28’ x 44’ with a mezzanine, and repurposing of current SOB mechanical systems.  The current configuration is for two smaller vehicles to be stored in the facility, with 2 doors so that access to the SAR vehicle is not blocked by the second vehicle.  The vehicles can be removed so that larger tractors can be repaired.  The garage and SAR floor plan is 20% complete.
Engineering: the current plan is to have CH2MHill do some of the upfront engineering.   CH2MHill is renaming what in the past has been called a “charter” to “engineering project definition form” which is in line with the Antarctic program.

1 May. SCO/PFS Call

attending: Zoe, Jack, Dave, Paul, Kevin, Katrine
Dave presented GLRP developments.  The value engineering is being finalized for the Isi Mobile garage, specifically the square footage issues, and whether or not a one bay garage would be feasible.  CPS believes that the cost requirements can be reached.  Jack asked if a weatherport, or other such soft sided structure could be used for the SAR/overwinter garage.  We discussed attendance at the Summit/Isi charrette scheduled for May 13-15, and how at present, there was not good representation from the science community as a whole.
Katrine discussed updates to the ANG schedule, and impacts from the Herc grounding.  The current plan is for the 109th to obtain a flight waiver shortly, and to be able to resume flights May 2nd.  Raven will be put in first, the first 2 flights for Summit scheduled the following Monday, and 3 flights back May 8th.  The second flight period would be started May 12th, as scheduled, with little space in between the south and north bound flights of the two flight periods.  The drillers for the IDD project are scheduled to fly back to NY (where they were turned around) on the 1st.  Due to the shortened field schedule, the test drill might not get all the way to brittle ice. Katrine updated us on the projects where researchers were able to get to Summit via Twin Otter.  Neely’s lidar needed to have an alignment done during the dark period, necessitating the Twin Otter trip, as well as a brief, 30 min tour for another PI who had flown commercially to Kanger for another, non-Summit project.  Two projects (Kramer and Petrenko) will be delayed to other flight periods, but will be able to be accommodated.