17 April. SCO/PFS teleconference

attending:  Katrine, Jack, Bob at start, Dave came on about 5 minutes late, John joined soon after Dave

Katrine told us that the Basler did get in to Summit on Wed as planned, bringing the first wave of summer staff. Timing was fortunate, since the weather closed in over the night and into Thur.  Winds exceeding 45 knots were impeding outside work and had prevented set up of tent city, so there was a slumber party at Summit.

Katrine and Bob commented on the revised GPS/GIS protocol that Bob did deliver to Summit on time, and that telecom discussions with the techs had resulted in further refinement and improvement of the protocol.  Katrine has the task to incorporate this procedure into the formal procedures and protocols data base that she maintains for all techs on-line and on site.

Katrine asked if SCO was planning to attend the Isi charrette, we confirmed that Jack is definitely attending and that we thought that Zoe would participate too (after the call Zoe did confirm by email),  Jack noted that he was not clear whether SCO was invited/allowed to participate in the 1/2 day wrap-up session, and said that he had asked Dave about this by email but had not yet heard back.

Dave joined right about this time and clarified that the wrap up was optional, but that SCO was certainly welcome to attend if interested.  He indicated that the tentative agenda for this day was to review action items from first 2 days, and then to focus on defining path forward for the Isi/Summit power grid, and to outline and begin LCCA for the jackable platform and building shells for Isi core station.

Dave announced that Kevin Gibbons will join CPS team on Monday (J. Bollinger replacement).  CPS is reworking the mobile garage concept design based on the VE exercise conducted last week.  GLT will participate in the Isi Charrette, and will have follow on meeting at CPS the final 1.5 days of that week to discuss preparation for a “readiness review” that the GLT will undergo sometime this fall.

Katrine asked Dave if he had more information about materials Renee had shared with CPS, regarding planned expansion of Station Nord, and the suggestion that CPS should look at the designs and vendors the Danes were using.  Dave said he did not know much more, but understood that a small team from CPS/ALEX would be visiting Denmark.  He felt that CPS needs to consider a wide range of options for any/all of the vendors that might win design/build contract for components of Isi/Summit redevelopment.  Katrine forwarded the material from Renee to SCO for our review after the call.

 

 

 

9 April. NSF/SCO teleconference

Attending: Renee, Pat, Jack, John, Zoe, Bob

Renee provided an update on recent NSF travels to Europe.  The Joint Committee is asking for a document to demonstrate the benefits the telescope project would provide for Greenland (i.e. a Benefits Impact assessment–which in the past has typically been for industrial interests looking to begin work in Greenland).   NSF also discussed including more Greenlandic training through the Danish Technical University and about plans for Station Nord.

We discussed the Summit/Isi white paper updates.  Pat thinks that the white paper most needed at this point in time from an NSF-standpoint is a 1 page executive summary, with maybe a second page to include a graphic.  We discussed disemminating this document on ARCUS and/or ArcticInfo, as well as posting it on the GeoSummit website.  Action item: SCO (Zoe) will contact the ICECAPS PI’s and explain the intended audience for the existing document, as well as a plan forward (i.e. multiple documents) regarding an email that was sent to NSF earlier.

 

We discussed the issue of granularity, using two recent cases where changes to logistical plans were called out as “scope creep,” where we saw significant attention being paid to these changes in the facilities reports for what we perceived as minor changes.  In both cases, the logistical were more involved than we perceived, but we discussed the need to have some flexibility, especially for PI’s first visiting Summit, to have leeway in their planning and last minute help with logistics.  We are not aware of any instance where a PI was not able to obtain the last-minute or late requests, but want to make sure that the issue is brought up, and that PI’s are not blamed for all changes/budget increases associated with them.